America, We Need To Talk.
BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY... WE NEED TO LISTEN.
Let’s face it: this is not our finest moment. Partisan back-biting has replaced decision-making as the primary function of our government. Cable news sound bytes and Twitter jabs have overtaken town halls and lunch counter discussions as the primary modes of civic discussion.
We’ve all backed into our respective red or blue corners, fists drawn. Neighbors glance over their shoulders at one another in disgust and distrust.
At its worst, this climate of radical, polarizing partisanship leads to pendulum-swinging policies that threaten economic, environmental, and social stability; at its other worst, it thwarts progress by creating ever-deepening gridlock. Neither one of these is a viable governing strategy for achieving the long-term prosperity and health of our nation.
How can we pursue our common interests when we’re so busy fighting over our entrenched disagreements?
PurpleState, a project from the makers of the long-running radio program eTown, invites you to join us in rejecting the dysfunctional present state of affairs as inevitable. Through a podcast series set to launch in the fall of 2018 - just in time for mid-term general elections! - grassroots engagement, and live events, PurpleState will reinvigorate the American tradition of civil discourse rooted in diverse perspectives, on a path toward finding common ground on some of the most important issues facing our nation and the world.
PurpleState aims to create a more enlightened, empowered, and mutually-respectful American electorate that places the Welfare of the People back at the center of our collective agenda.
It's time for a new era of patriotism.
"Democracy must be built through open societies that share information. When there is information, there is enlightenment. When there is debate, there are solutions.
When there is no sharing of power, no rule of law, no accountability, there is abuse, corruption, subjugation and indignation."
— Atifete Jahjaga, first female President of the Republic of Kosovo
The PurpleState Declaration
COMMON SENSE FOR THE COMMON GOOD
We The Purple of the United States, in order to form a More Perfect Union, promote Justice, Ensure Domestic Tranquility, Provide for the Common Defense, Promote General Welfare, and Secure Liberty for Ourselves and Our Children (and their children, and their children...), do hereby Affirm that We Do Not Live in Red States or Blues States, but that We Live in the United States of America, and that we are Citizens of the World
At this moment in our history when polarizing, partisan politics makes our government less efficient, and inflammatory political rhetoric incites mistrust and misunderstanding, we MUST stand up for those common sense and common good values that transcend party lines.
IN ORDER TO ACHIEVE THIS, WE "THE PURPLE" RESOLVE TO:
1. Unpack and uncover those ideals seen as fundamental to our society, such as “liberty” and "justice," which are often taken for granted as universally understood
2. Deeply examine the intertwining paths of history that have led to our present condition/moment, as sources of both caution and as inspiration
3. Strive to realize the aspirational version of our nation through the relentless pursuit of inclusivity and tolerance in our economic, social and political systems
4. Explore with open minds and hearts, our shared interests in addressing pressing issues that affect the health of our nation, our families, our communities, and our planet, with the goal of identifying actionable, common sense solutions that provide mutual benefits
4. Elevate understanding and truth as the underpinnings of thoughtful, defensible decisions
5. Employ the yet-untapped power of representative democracy to install leaders who embody the values we uphold and will pursue the common good on key issues, and who work to create a future of shared prosperity, health, and happiness for all of our diverse American constituency
PurpleState welcomes people from all walks of life, all political parties, all faiths, genders, traditions, ideologies, aesthetics, abilities, and ethnicities. Our goals are to restore civil discourse in American politics and faith in our uniquely American form of democracy.
Please join us at this critical time in our nation’s history in determining how We The Purple can make a difference together!